Arlington Named a Top Digital County for 2019
Arlington County is again ranked one of the top digital counties in the nation. The Center for Digital Government and National Association of Counties 2019 award recognizes Arlington for its best technology practices in areas of open government, transparency, citizen engagement, cyber security and operations. Arlington received the award for counties in the 150,000 – 249,999 population category based on its submission to the Digital Counties Survey. This is the tenth time Arlington has been ranked in the Top 10 counties for technology achievement.
Who We Are
The Department of Technology Services (DTS) is led by Chief Information Officer Jack Belcher and an experienced, forward-looking management team. Our goal is to continuously seek new and innovative ways to grow the County’s technology and knowledge assets and leverage them to improve its citizen-centric services. With a team of dedicated and talented technology professionals who partner with trusted, industry-leading technology vendors, as well as staff augmentation partners, we have been able to accomplish an impressive list of achievements.
What We Do
We serve the County by building, maintaining, and securing a world-class information technology environment and providing technical expertise to County departments and agencies. Our focus is on networking, telecommunications, database and application development, Web services, financial and emergency systems and emerging technologies. In addition, we provide an increasing number of direct public services, such as free public wireless Internet connectivity.
Arlington County’s Digital Strategy defines a framework to provide individuals access the information they need, when they need it, and the way they want it. Our approach incorporates reaching out to the community, our partners, and others to transform the way we live and work. Our investments will focus on satisfying constituent needs, developing a “digital mindset” with a focus on the future, and utilizing technology to make a difference in people’s everyday lives. The following are our defined goals for the next five years:
Healthy, Safe and Secure Community
Enable the County’s public health, public safety and emergency management responders to provide for a healthy, safe, and secure community.
- Apply digital innovations to transform public health and human services practices
- Leverage new opportunities for integrated regional communications and emergency response
- Expand technology tools for comprehensive situational awareness
- Take advantage of new technology to support advanced, resilient emergency communications
Economic and Environmental Sustainability
Distinguish Arlington County as a vibrant, inclusive, livable community.
- Plan for sustainment, capacity and refreshment of the County’s electronic resources
- Support economic development initiatives to increase commercial occupancy rates
- Align with energy conservation and sustainment goals identified in the County’s Community Energy Plan
- Enrich transit choice possibilities
Transparency and Accountability
Provide transparency and accountability of County initiatives to assure responsible use of tax dollars and encourage collaboration with the community.
- Leverage opportunities to partner for new and improved ways of providing citizen services
- Provide analytics to encourage collaboration and facilitate informed decision making
- Involve constituents to increase their participation and engagement
- Restructure processes for the digital age
Privacy, Security and Resiliency
Fulfill the trust of the community in our information and infrastructure.
- Ensure the protection of the County’s infrastructure, both from within and without
- Preserve and protect the official records of the County
- Protect the information of those who engage with the County
- Provide resiliency and continuity of operations