County Manager Mark Schwartz is the principal administrative officer of the County. He and his office provide professional recommendations to the County Board. Mr. Schwartz has outlined three major priority areas on which he is focusing staff:
- Economic development: an all-hands-on-deck effort to attract new, vibrant businesses.
- Service delivery/open data: making it easier to do business with Arlington County Government. Includes One-Stop Arlington and Arlington County Digital Strategy’s initiative on Transparency and Accountability.
- Long-range strategic planning: the future of serving our community. Mr. Schwartz held a series of strategic planning work sessions with the County Board in 2015 and 2016 — 2017 sessions will be scheduled and held later in the year.
The County Manager’s Office is responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of a broad range of services provided by Arlington’s various departments. As stipulated by the Virginia Constitution, Arlington Public Schools come under the jurisdiction of the Superintendent of Schools and the School Board. The County Manager’s Office:
- Implements the vision and policies of the County Board
- Ensures high-quality services, with outstanding customer service, at a good value to taxpayer
- Fosters economic and fiscal sustainability
- Enhances Arlington’s reputation as a high performing, learning, caring organization that operates in a manner consistent with its mission and values, making Arlington an employer of choice
Learn more about the County Manager form of government.
Major Programs & Documents
Areas of Interest
- Manager’s Advisory Groups
- Real Estate Tax Relief Working Group Charge (July 2016)
- FOIA (Freedom of Information Act ) Requests & Responses
- Awards and Recognition
- Report a Human Rights Violation
- Arlington & Immigration
- County Vision
- Code of Ethics