Overall Satisfaction with County Services Remains Strong
- Overall satisfaction with quality of services remained at 89 percent.
- Overall satisfaction with County Services rated 32 percentage points above the national average of 57 percent.
- Satisfaction with County services improved or stayed the same in 62 of the 101 questions in 2012 and 2015.
- Overall satisfaction with County services generally was the same throughout the County.
- Satisfaction with the value residents receive for their taxes remains high (well above national averages).
Satisfaction with Overall Quality of Life Remains High
- Remained at 90 percent.
- This was 11 percent above the national average of 79 percent.
Opportunity for Improvement
- Overall, street maintenance and management of traffic flow are the most important areas to improve.
- The survey also indicated opportunities for improvement in several areas, including: efforts to preserve affordable housing; efforts to preserve nature areas, and efforts to preserve/protect the environment.
- Most survey questions the same as those asked in 2008 and 2012.
- Administered by mail/phone/Internet in April 2015.
- Survey offered in English and Spanish (72 took the survey in Spanish).
- A total of 1,512 residents completed the survey (292 completed online; 656 by mail; 564 by phone).
- Demographics of the sample matched 2010 Census data for Arlington County with regard to gender, ethnicity and age.
- Results have a 95 percent level of confidence with a precision of at least +/- 2.5 percent.
- Home addresses of the survey respondents geocoded to ensure representation across the County and enable GIS mapping.
Other Major Findings
The survey showed significant improvement in satisfaction in several categories, including the following:
|Quality of Arlington’s public transit system (ART)||64%||63%||74%|
|Availability of bike trails and bike lanes||70%||73%||76%|
|Availability of transportation for persons with disabilities||55%||51%||61%|
|Availability of services to the unemployed||N/A||43%||46%|
|Quality of County’s library system||89%||85%||90%|
|Outdoor athletic fields||65%||78%||81%|
This 2015 survey is the fourth comprehensive survey to assess resident satisfaction with County services. Arlington County conducted its first comprehensive satisfaction survey in 2004. The County will use the survey results as an additional tool to measure its performance and enable more effective management of community services. Hundreds of cities and counties around the nation use surveys such as this to assess their performance.
About ETC Institute
ETC Institute is a nationally known firm and market leader in conducting opinion research for government organizations. ETC has done research for more than 500 cities and counties in 48 states. Through its proprietary DirectionFinder®, a national benchmarking survey initiative, ETC compared Arlington’s survey results to those of other similar communities with populations over 100,000 across the United States.