Preserving our trees and tree canopy coverage has been identified as a top priority of the County Board and the community. These documents establish the minimum standards and requirements for landscape plans and installations.
- County Ordinance: The Tree Preservation Ordinance was adopted Nov. 16, 2002 and is contained in Chapter 67 of the Arlington County Code, Trees and Shrubs Ordinance No. 02-25.
- Site Plan Projects: Site plans subject to the County’s Administrative Regulation 4.1 must include tree canopy coverage analysis, including existing canopy coverage and projected 20-year canopy coverage, as part of either the Tree Protection and Replacement Plan or Landscape Plan. For more information, refer to the County’s Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance Interim Guidance Manual, section 3.2.
- By-Right Development: “By-right” developers should consult Arlington’s Zoning Ordinance for basic requirements in specific zones. The County may require additional site improvements in order to meet its mandate of protecting, preserving and enhancing its trees and tree canopy for future generations.
County Landscape Standards
This comprehensive guide provides information about how to prepare a landscape plan and includes an overview of zoning regulations, tree planting standards and replacement guidelines. It was designed to assist those seeking approval for development in Arlington.
- Drawing No. R-7.0 – General Standard for Tree Planting
- Drawing No. R-7.1 – Shrub and Ground Cover Planting Detail
- Drawing No. R-7.2 – Planting Trees in Open Area or Grass Strip
- Drawing No. R-7.3 – Tree Protection Detail for Retaining Wall Construction
- Drawing No. R-7.4 – Expandable Tree Grate and Frame Details
- Drawing No. R-7.5 – Tree Grate Installation Details
- Drawing No. R-7.6 – Tree Planting Detail for Street Tree in Pit
- Drawing No. R-7.6.A – Tree Pit Drainage Details
- Drawing No. R-7.7 – Tree Protection Detail for Determination of Critical Root Zone
- Drawing No. R-7.9.B – Continuous Soil Panel
- Drawing No. R-7.9.C – Structural Soil
- Drawing Reference II.A.4. – Tree Protection Fence, Plan
- Drawing Reference No. II.A.5 – Typical Signage for Tree Preservation Area
- Drawing Reference II.A.6. – Tree Protection Fence, Elevation
- Drawing Reference No. II.B.1. – 12’ Combined Sidewalk and Planting Area
- Drawing Reference No. II.B.3. – 13’ Combined Sidewalk and Planting Area
- Drawing Reference No. II.B.2. – 16’-8” Combined Sidewalk and Planting Area
- Drawing Reference No. II.H. – Underground Garage Located Under Sidewalk
- Recommended trees
- Invasive plants
Tree Replacement Guidelines
For more information about tree replacement refer to the following: