Acting County Manager Mark Schwartz is the principal administrative officer of the County. He and his office provide professional recommendations to the County Board. Mr. Schwartz has outlined three major priority areas on which he is focusing the staff:
- Economic development: an all-hands-on-deck effort to attract new, vibrant businesses.
- Service delivery/open data: making it easier to do business with Arlington County Government. Includes Arlington County Digital Strategy’s initiative on Transparency and Accountability.
- Long-range strategic planning: the future of serving our community.
The County Manager’s Office is responsible for the day-to-day operations and management of a broad range of services provided by Arlington’s various departments. As stipulated by the Virginia Constitution, Arlington Public Schools come under the jurisdiction of the Superintendent of Schools and the School Board. The County Manager’s Office:
- Implements the vision and policies of the County Board
- Ensures high-quality services, with outstanding customer service, at a good value to taxpayer
- Fosters economic and fiscal sustainability
- Enhances Arlington’s reputation as a high performing, learning, caring organization that operates in a manner consistent with its mission and values, making Arlington an employer of choice
Learn more about the County Manager form of government.